Home | World | South Korea ‘to develop new missile against North’

South Korea ‘to develop new missile against North’

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
South Korea ‘to develop new missile against North’
 South Korea’s military has revealed plans to develop a new surface-to-surface ballistic missile that it says is powerful enough to destroy North Korea’s nuclear and missile sites and command centers in the event of a military confrontation with Pyongyang.
In its annual parliamentary audit, the South Korean army revealed plans to develop a “Frankenmissile,” which would inflict “unbearable cost” on the North in the early stages of a possible armed conflict on the Korean Peninsula, according to Yonhap news agency. The missile would carry a warhead weighing 1,800 kilograms and would be able to reach anywhere in North Korea, the army report claimed.
The army said it started developing such a ballistic missile to establish a “game-changing” operational concept, to minimize civilian casualties, and to end a potential military conflict with the North as soon as possible.
Earlier, US President Donald Trump “agreed in principle” with South Korea’s scrapping limits on its missile payloads. Under a 2012 agreement with the US, Seoul had been allowed to have ballistic missiles with a range of up to 800 kilometers — enough to reach any target in North Korea — with a payload of no more than 500 kilograms.
The plan to build the new weapon had been reported by The Korea Herald in September.
The South, along with the US, has been opposed to North Korea’s missile and nuclear weapons programs.
North Korea has so far conducted six nuclear tests and numerous missile test-launches. It has also vowed strong action, including a nuclear strike if it is invaded by the South and the US. Pyongyang only months away from building nuke that can reach US: CIA
Meanwhile, CIA Director Mike Pompeo has warned that Pyongyang is only a few months away from fulfilling its objective to acquire a nuclear weapon capable of striking the United States mainland.
Presstv
“They are close enough now in their capabilities that from a US policy perspective we ought to behave as if we are on the cusp of them achieving” their objective of being able to strike the United States, Pompeo told a national security forum in Washington.

“Whether it happens on Tuesday or a month from Tuesday, we are at a time where the president has concluded that we need a global effort to ensure that [North Korean leader] Kim Jong-un doesn’t have that capacity,” he said, without explaining.

Pompeo (pictured below) criticized the international community for failing to “push back against” Pyongyang as “they are closer now than they were five years ago, and I expect they will be closer in five months than they are today.”

This is while the North has been under harsh sanctions since it conducted its first nuclear test in 2006.

The North says it needs to continue and develop its military programs as a deterrent against the hostile policies of the United States and its regional allies, including South Korea and Japan.